Winter trains on sale Thursday 13th October 2016
Tickets for indirect journeys to the Alps go on sale this Thursday 13th October at 5am.
• Eurostar + TGV – to resorts in France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy
• Eurostar via Lyon – to resorts in France
• Eurostar + sleeper train from Paris – to several resorts in France and Italy
The direct Eurostar Ski Train is already on sale for the whole winter 2016-17 season (it went on sale in July)
The indirect journeys are sold in several batches:
|Travel period||Ticket sales open on|
|11/12/16 - 02/02/17||Thursday 13th October 2016|
|03/02/17 - 05/03/17||Friday 4th November 2016|
|06/03/17 - 30/03/17||Tuesday 6th December 2016|
|31/03/17 - 02/04/17||Tuesday 3rd January 2017|
What's changed this season?
1. Fewer overnight trains from Paris
As you might have read about, SNCF has axed loads of ski (and non-ski) overnight train routes. We battled to help persuade them otherwise, because ski routes at weekends were popular. But now you can no longer get sleeper trains from Paris to Bourg St Maurice or St Gervais. However, you can still travel overnight from Paris to Briancon, and reach several ski resorts this way, including the fantastic Serre Chevalier and Montgenevre.
2. Eurostar keep their via-Lyon service to peak dates only.
Eurostar's via-Lyon service, a very useful way of reaching the Alps (particularly on the outbound journey) will only run on certain dates. These are the dates (for travel both ways):
- Saturday 17th December 2016
- Friday 23rd December 2016
- Friday 30th December 2016
- Saturday 11th February 2017
- Saturday 18th February 2017
- Friday 31st March 2017
- Saturday 1st April 2017
From then on, three times a week: Friday, Saturday, Monday
3. Extra direct ski trains at half-term, put on by Eurostar
That's a good development (read about it here), although loads more could be done to help skiers onto trains and cater for the demand.
As ever, if you'd like suggestions or help with rail travel, which resort to choose and where to stay, by all means send me an email and I'll be back in touch.